Monday, March 25, 2013

Vacancy: IH Tripoli (International House in Libya)


Would you like to work in Libya?

'Yeah, so what if it's a 'dry country,' where I can't get any alcohol? It's got the beach; it's in the Middle East region, so the pay's got to be good!'

Not at International House (IH) in Tripoli, Libya.

First, here's an excerpt from the USA Department of State's travel warning for the country of Libya:
 



 
 Second, here's an excerpt from the Foreign and Commonwealth Office in the UK:
 

 
 
 
 
Now, let me ask you again: Would you like to work in Libya?
'Ok, so it's dangerous. As long as I don't go out at night…or in the daytime unaccompanied…then, I'll be fine. The pay must be outrageously awesome if I'm going to teach English in a dangerous locale.'
Think again my friend. Here's the post from www.tefl.com








Besides the shared accommodation, the number of contact hours per week or the number of vacation days, the one glaring red flag to this whole operation must be discussed: the pay.

1,000 - 1,300 GBP / month? Are you insane? One could get a higher wage in Korea, China, and Saudi Arabia and not have to worry about being shelled or kidnapped by rebels!
I would not cross Libya off my list of places to teach in, but for companies like International House (IH) who are going to offer a deplorably low salary for risking one's life and limb to teach, no one should apply for this job.

Check the above mentioned countries for a better quality of life and pay. If you still want a Middle East experience, go with the Gulf countries as they are not in the midst of, nor have they just finished, a war. The pay in the Gulf is astronomically higher than this crap IH is offering.

How disrespectful to put such a low salary on my life! I'm worth…at least…twice as much!

In short, don't entertain even the thought of working for IH in Libya.  

No comments:

Post a Comment